Yesterday was my first time watching an orchestra concert in the Malaysian Philharmonic Orchestra hall. The only orchestra I've ever watched was my school's, which was okay I suppose, especially when the seniors were still playing, but later it looked as if it had lost direction. Defunct. I'm not a big fan of classical music, mind you, and I'm no expert either. I just went there for the experience. And a great experience it was, although there were times that I found myself nearly falling asleep(by the way, thanks Nabila for inviting). The hall was three-quarter full that Sunday afternoon. Maybe people prefer to watch the night session rather than a Sunday matinee. And I noticed that the people who came to see the show mostly were foreigners. They seemed to appreciate art more than we locals do, don't they? Even in theathers as well. Last two years, I went to see Anak Bulan Di Kampung Wa' Hassan at KLPac, a play featuring a single actor acting 13 different characters. It was a great play and I was glad I attended it. The play was in Malay, but that did not stop a group of foreigners from enjoying the play at all. It's a great thing to see this thing happening here. Perhaps we should be more supportive as well, shouldn't we?

Anyways, my routine as a college student went on as usual today. I didn't have class to attend until 9.45am (class normally starts at 8.15. That's why I love Mondays:P) so I decided to spend the free time doing my IELTS presentation work. Ms Rena told us to do a presentation in groups of three regarding unexplained phenomenas which I find very interesting. You know, when people talk about the existence of UFO, the Bermuda Triangle, the Illuminati, Atlantis and what not, I get very sceptical. There are so much theories and yet so little (real) evidence. So I decided to do a presentation on Gloomy Sunday instead. To those who don't know, it's about the song which drives the person who listens to it to commit suicide due to extreme depression. At least it does not involve creatures from outer space or any secret organization or brotherhood.
So...I thought everyone will have to present tomorrow, but then I figured that because the majority of the class still have not prepared anything yet, Ms Rena decided that we'll watch a film instead. How wonderful (sarcastically, I mean). It's amazing what the power of majority can do. But come to think of it, I'd say it's a great opportunity cost. At least we get to watch Schindler's List. I've always wanted to watch it, but never got the chance.

Aainaa and Umyra were not in Economics class today. Umyra is off to Singapore for a family vacation until next week, whilst Aainaa went to Indonesia also for the same reason (she went there with her mum only though) and will be back to college by tonight. In the class, I would say both of them are my fortress from Mr Conquest's questions of economics. Aainaa sits next to me, Umyra in front of her. We sit in the far right of the class, nearby the window. You see, Mr Conquest likes asking questions to the students (not all though, mostly) and these two girls seem to be his favourite choice (well, besides Attiyaa, Yana, Noni etc etc). It's not that I'm trying to avoid from being asked the questions whatsoever, it's just that I never got the chance. And to raise my hand and ask him questions seems rather difficult to do. But nontheless, Economics class has always been an enlightening class (if that's the right word) for me. It's not the lessons in the syllibus that's enlightening, it's what Mr Conquest has to say during the five minute break in every class that never fails to capture my attention. Well, today he talked about the rising price of oil which is pretty worrying. The price of oil now reaches $120 a barrel. 20-30 years ago people would not even predict it would reach $100 a barrel. Things have changed it seems. What caused the price to rice over the weekend? He said besides the disruption caused the problems in Nigeria, it was also caused partly by the strike participated by UK refinery workers. As you can see, the UK refineries process mainly the oil from the North Sea. The market, panicked by the disruption, responded by raising the price to $120. However, experts suspect that the price will slowly go down over time after the panic is over. Let's hope that it will.

0 comments: