A Little Twisted Tuesday I Should Say


I woke up at around 5.30am today because I had a community service at the zoo. I had to wake up early because I didn't want to go there unprepared. Plus, I was driving. Traffic jams can be a real pain in the ass, especially in crucial moments in which I'm sure you've familiarised yourself with. We were supposed to be there at 8. However, due to a slight miscalculation on my behalf, I arrived at exactly 7. Hence a good 60 minutes of waiting took place immediately after I parked my car at the zoo reserve parking space. No I was not tired...yet. The prospect of me having a great time that day rather silenced my pessimistic side's counter argument.

The first lesson today - as voluntary workers, expect ourselves to be fully utilised by the authority. Yes, the dry leaves on the floor, the clogged drain at the hamster house, the hungry mice begging to be fed, the almost full garbage cans, and even the cleanliness of the crocodiles' den - they are all under your portfolio. At least that's how Mr Hamdan and Mr Ravi made me perceive the situation. No I'm not complaining. Some of the things we did today were absolutely fun. Sweeping the dry leaves while being stared by the gang of crocodiles hanging out close by was like experiencing an intimate moment with the wild. Yes, we were in the den, sweeping. And yes, they were only a couple of feet away from us. The activity at the hamster house allowed us to grab the rattlesnakes' lunch menu by the tail. Too bad these cute creatures had to become a part of the food chain. Some fast-paced action drama were involved somewhere along the line too.

But um, since we volunteered ourselves to be part of the team, I think we deserved the right to draw a limit to our commitment to the job, don't you think? 'For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction,' Newton concluded. Well, this is an explanation of the extra time we took for breaks and, ahem, the breaking-in of the room just now. So if you happen to read this, Mr Ravi and Mr Hamdan, please understand that we have our reasons.

I've told you before about my cellphone. One moment it states that the battery is full, then later it dies just like that. I always thought that I just couldn't be bothered by its inappropriate behaviour. I guess I was wrong. 28 missed calls. In three hours. Sheesh. Indeed I was badly affected by it.

The journey home from the zoo just now was such a complicated issue that I prefer not to endure again. But it already happened. Why bother bringing that up again?

Summing it up, it involved:
A race against time. A supermassive parking lot on the road. Fulfilling wants. Discomfort, camouflaged. Destinations. Delays. An unacceptable excuse. Home. Lame jokes. An overworried mother. A pissed off driver. A silent outrage. A dead cellphone. A circle of friends. A wrong turn. Spaghetti.A stormy weather. Unanswered calls. Pudding. A little bit of anger. Fatigue. Unnecesary troubles. Complications. Insistence. Ignorance. A short notice. Awkward conversations. Concerns. Smelly clothes. Gratitude. A safe journey.


Ah. Maybe I'm just plain tired.
That probably explained why I was in such a mood.

0 comments: