Afia

My younger sister Afia received a letter yesterday. It was a letter she has been waiting for seven months now. A letter informing her that she was accepted to study in a boarding school. She has always wanted to study in a boarding school. In fact, it has been my mum's wish as well. "Pegi boarding school, blaja rajin2 etc." So you can imagine how happy she was upon reading the letter. She was indeed very excited thinking about the new environment she will be living in from now on, but her friends, on the other hand, were not.

She told me how one of her friends did not even come to school on her last day at school because she was so sad that she is going to lose another best friend. Owh, actually, they have this group of seven people, sort of like the sisterhood or something and they are very close. So since January, one by one left the group because they got accepted by boarding schools. And now that Afia is leaving as well, only two remains in the group. It's melodramatic, I know, but that's what happens. And yes, I do care about my sister's minipolitics as well. Guess I didn't really live up to my reputation as an ignorant brother.

From my point of view, the pursuit of education often outweighs the sacrifices that have to be made along the way. I may sound rather 'kiasu' here but seriously, there is nothing more important rather than education. This is because once education is acquired, the rest will come our way as well. Good friends, good life, better perspectives of things.

After all, we only part to meet again.

0 comments: