No, I'm Not Trying to Save My Face

Sometimes I tend to overlook the fact that I'm the house captain of Garnet. Although it is indeed a good thing not to get too obsessed with power, we must also look in the mirror and ask ourselves whether have we been using the power bestowed upon us for the greater good or not doing anything at all. This post has nothing specific to point out really. It's just that I noticed that I haven't been speaking (or acting, for that matter) as the house captain for quite a while now, especially when Bangsawan preparation was taking place for the past month. I don't have an explanation to this, but perhaps I was more motivated to work as the Props Manager rather than the house captain. In bringing out the interest of the other house members to work together, it was all down to Pilus and Zaba who made the efforts. They always know the right words to say.

Anyway, as the house captain of Garnet, I would like to say a few things to my fellow Garnetors. First of all, don't forget that we won the Best Props Award! Although some of us thought it was not a big deal, look on the bright side. We were the FIRST house to receive the award that night. Gempak ape. Haha. My pathetic attempt to cheer you guys up. So congratulations! Even though our props crew were pretty small-scaled, we still managed to get the job done. To those who stayed up so late at night making kerawang and stuffs, please know that I really really appreciate the effort. We all have our shares in this. And to those who questioned our right to win the award, know that we're cool with whatever you have to say. No hard feelings. Although we were upset with the results, quoting from Azri, "there's no use of crying over spilt milk." We Garnetors, we get over things quickly right? Just like bad break-ups. Haha merepek.

And now, the thank you list:

Zaba: For vounteering to shoulder the heaviest burden of all. Not getting an award for your work doesn't mean that you're not a good director, right?

Atiqah: For writing a beautiful script for us. I really thought that we stood an equal chance like other houses, but unfortunately luck was not on our side.

Farahani: For trying her best in providing costumes for the actors and actresses that night. We all know that you've gone through a lot of pressure due to this. Although you might be a little dejected with the results, trust me, your efforts did not go to waste. And our android trees were undoubtedly the most awesome costume that night.

Jojo: For the backdrop and countless number of other things she did. I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings the other day. It was definitely unintentional.

Afif: For getting the job done:P

Fara Ain, Najah, Farah Hazwani and the usual crew: For the dedication! They were always there when we needed them most. Cayalah.

Sorry if I've missed a few names. On a more serious note, to the rest of Garnetors who didn't bother showing up during the preparation at all, please read Aimi's blog. Or if you don't even bother clicking the link here, let me make things easy for you.

Garnet only won the Best Props. Oh well, something is better than nothing. Congratulations to fellow Topazians. You guys well-deserved it, like what Bangbil said to me, they really wanted to win, so you can imagine how much effort every Topazian put in. Garnetors were not really enthusiastic, i must say. As always. I don't know why but it's like a tradition or something. Somehow, it's really hard for us to change it and i think it's because of the mentality that we have. You know in every event, we'll be like, ' Ah, we can never win. The other houses are way better'. And truth be told, there you go, a LOSER once again. I am just telling the truth. I am a Garnetor myself.

It can be really frustrating thinking about the effort that you have put in for more than a month just for that 30-minute show and in the end, you lost. I guess, it has pros and cons. We have to sacrifice our time, energy and our studies to attend practices and, to prepare thebackdrop, props, costumes and the list goes on and on.

And yesterday, it ended. And that's it. Next year, at this time, the same routine will begin again.

Should it continue like this?


There, she said it. Personally, I was quite affected by the results. This Bangsawan will the last event for the seniors and soon we will step down and lock ourselves in our rooms and become kiasus (right Jo?), but it's sad to learn that our last event as committee members was not quite a successful one. I do understand the fact that academic matters should always come first, but why can't we excel in both? It's our lack of enthusiasm that really bothers me. And yet we call ourselves the house of "Flaming Enthusiasm?" Ah, the irony. I really really hope that the upcoming committee members will do something about this.

I think that's enough. Anyway, this is a statement from your house captain, and no I'm not trying to save my face. I am merely telling you the truth. Thank you for your time.

4 comments:

kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kelly said...

we need a cheer
pronto!
let's fuel up that dimming flame yo
:)
yeah, that's me trying to cheer up the garnetors

aiMi said...

Go Garnet! LOL :)

Rashdan Ruslan said...

walau pun aku tlambat...
aku terasa baca aimi's statement...
menyesal jugak aku x participate...
tapi we changed during dikir...
we were full of enthusiasm...
but it wasnt our night, eh?