Manila Flood Relief








So I went to the chaplaincy upon Adina's invitation right after my lecture a few hours ago. To be completely honest, at first I was kind of reluctant to join the voluntary group because I was the only boy around and that I did not know any of the girls except Adina. So it was pretty awkward for some time, I admit. All the girls were already occupied with stuff to do - some were cooking in the kitchen while others were cutting onions at the table. I, on the other hand, tried to make myself feel at ease by hanging at one corner of the area and updating my Twitter status and checking my Facebook account. Anything that could keep me occupied. Well of course it didn't work.

After some briefing by Francesca (a sweet girl she is), I was finally given the job to prepare the spring rolls together with a few other people. That was when the awkwardness disappeared. Geraldine, a first year Filipino student, explained to me what exactly happened in Manila last September. Two hurricanes struck Manila twice in the same week, leaving devastating effects and panic across the country. Many people lost their lives and thousand others lost their homes and are currently seeking shelter in schools and churches. It's a sad sight. All the while she was explaining this, I couldn't help but feel embarassed by my own ignorance. Why wasn't I aware of this catastrophe? Now that I understood the gravity of the situation they're facing, I'm really glad that I could be of some help. For once I thought I had a very fulfilling day, despite not being able to have proper Internet access for the whole day and finish my homework that's been piling up since the last two weeks.

Anyway, back to the main point.

The fundraising will begin tomorrow at 11.00am. Feel free to come and support to help lift the burdens off their shoulders. Together we can make it happen.

Good night people. Thank you for listening.



Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments: